Trade, Tourism and Cooperatives
The Department of Trade, Tourism and Cooperative development has played a crucial role toward social and economic growth in the county. Towards creating conducive environment for trade, wealth and employment creation the county government has achieved the following.
- Constructed 14 new commodities markets, rehabilitated three markets and constructed 45 stalls in the county. This has provided conducive trading environment to over 10,000 sellers and buyers.
- Provided conducive working environment to over 1,000 bodaboda operators by constructing 46 Bodaboda sheds across the county.
- In FY 2015/16 established Laikipia County Enterprise Revolving Fund where Ksh 3,900,000 has so far been disbursed to 70 women and youth groups drawn from across the county. Ksh 16 million has been budgeted for the same in FY 2016/17
- In FY 2015/16 established Laikipia County Cooperative Development Revolving Fund where Ksh.8, 000,000 has so far been dispersed to 36 cooperative societies. Ksh 20 million has been budgeted for the same in FY 2016/17
- Initiated registration and capacity building of 68 new cooperative societies.
- Held Laikipia County Investment Conference whose output was to market Laikipia County investment opportunities to the rest of the world. More than 100 investors attended the conference out of which 86 expressed their interest to invest in Laikipia county.
- Developed Laikipia County Investment Profile that outlines different investment opportunities within the county.